Utmost Scripture for the day ~
Whither I go, thou canst not follow Me now; but thou shall follow me afterwards.
John 13:36
Praise God for the promise to be allowed to follow afterwards!!!
It is what I live for!
Makes me think about Jesus asking Peter if he loves Him. Seems absurd really. Peter loves Jesus - right? Is Jesus looking for the internal following? Is he trying to teach Peter the importance of living out of the internal? That place from deep within us where the living waters flow? Jesus knew that externally Peter loved Him, but He was looking for the internal following.
In today's reading Chambers says "... Peter had denied Jesus with certain oaths and curses, he had come to the end of himself and all his self-sufficiency, there was not one strand of himself he would ever rely upon again, and in his destitution he was in fit condition to receive an impartation from the risen Lord...when we have come to the end of ourselves, not in imagination, but really, we are able to receive the Holy Spirit."
As I read that portion of the devotion I am reminded of the many times I have had to reach the end of my own sufficiency. In my mind I should be able to achieve this for once and for all. Done deal. No more to return to that way of thinking. Forever stamped like a postage stamp..."reached the end of self-sufficiency".
But no.
The next thought that comes to me - daily walk. I have to be reminded daily that my sufficiency is an illusion...as my precious friend who is married to a very talented, gifted, slight of hand magician might say...will we buy into the illusion?
And then the thought that comes to mind - gratitude. Gratitude for all that brings me to my realization of my illusion. Painful at times - yes. Lonely at times - most definitely. But all in all, I have learned and therefore trust the all sufficient hand of God. And I am so grateful that when I realize my state of destitution...is when I receive the impartation from the Risen Lord!!!
Oh for impartation..thank you Lord for your precious Holy Spirit. Bring impartation as you would choose...make us ready vessels to receive. Oh that we would not miss it!
We stand ready Lord...Giving thanks a praise to you!
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment